Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sharing with the fishies

(beach)
I was scanning through some blogs and came upon one (here) that I was casually reading through until I noticed a picture of a child at the beach with big block letters under it reading "Congratulations A! You're Two and Binki Free!" I was curious as to why a binki and a beach went together and so I read the paragraph above. To my delight, I saw that this clever mother had determined to end the use of a pacifier for her 2-year old by having her throw her binki into the ocean. You may think "so what?" The brilliant thing is, that is exactly how my parents weaned me off a binki when I was very young! Of course my memory of the event is hazy but I do recall sitting on my father's shoulders at the edge of where the waves break onto the sand and my mother telling me (for the hundredth time I am sure since this was probably the climax of all the preparation) "Okay sweetie, remember that you need to share your binki with the fishies. The baby fishies don't have a binki of their own so you need to be a big girl and give it to them." So I pulled it out of my mouth and with my little stick arms threw my precious pacifier into the ocean so that a baby fishy could have it. And that was that. What a brilliant parenting move! This young mother did the exact same thing. I truly never thought I would hear of anyone else using that method. And now, it could work even better because the fishy that may get your binki could be Nemo! And heaven knows I have been in an aquarium and, when spotting a clown fish, have yelled "I found Nemo!!!" Very exciting.
('nemo')

No comments: