Monday, July 28, 2008

I recently saw two touring Broadway shows: The Color Purple and Mamma Mia!.

I had not seen the movie or read the book before seeing The Color Purple so I was able to focus solely on the music and story without any preconceived notions about either. It is a very dramatic and sometimes heart-wrenching plot but the music is absolutely fabulous. It is full on gospel music and the performers take the notes and run with them. Their voices were powerful and rich and I often found myself closing my eyes just to focus on the singing.
(image)

The most recent play I saw was Mamma Mia! I thought that due to being inundated with ABBA music (as most of the world has been) I would not enjoy seeing a play based solely on their songs. But I found that I was most entertained! ABBA really did have great songs it is just that they have been overplayed so much that I had tuned them out. But put in the context of the plot and seeing it live made all the difference. The play is lively and high energy---by the end, you will most likely be dancing in your seat along with the cast.
(image)

No comments: