Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Heat in its many forms

(1)

There is always a debate about which type of heat is more oppressive-the dry, arid heat of the Western U.S. or the damp humidity more common in the East and South. I grew up in the East but I went to school out West so I have intimately experienced both. And to be honest, I don't know which is better or worse. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
(2)
Humidity causes you to feel damp and sticky all day. You walk outside and you can feel the moisture in the air. If I straighten my hair in the summertime it will not last long. On the other hand, I have naturally curly hair and, when tamed, is kept nicely by the added moisture. With humidity your skin is kept moisturized and you don't need near as much cream and lotion.

(3)
With dry heat you often feel as if you are baking. It burns your lungs and steams away any and all moisture your body may be trying to hold onto. However, when you step under some shade it is instantly ten degrees cooler! And you don't feel as if your clothes are constantly sticking to you the moment you step outside.

So. The big conclusion? I have no idea. Discussion?

No comments: